This week I asked myself, “How do you know you are an empath?” My love of research led me to begin with the Google query, ‘definition of empath’.
Definition of Empath
The top result from Dictionary declared empath is a term used in science fiction literature, suggesting it’s a figment of our imagination. The second definition result is from Merriam-Webster. This one, I like..mostly.
One who experiences the emotions of others: a person who has empathy for others
Don’t you love it when the root word you are trying to understand is now used slightly differently in it’s definition? Now we need to understand empathy too.
The Google results from ‘definition of empathy’ were skewed exactly opposite from empath. Here is the top result from Dictionary for empathy.
The ability to understand and share the feelings of others
Certainly, my definition of empath is one who experiences the emotions of others.
How Do You Know You’re an Empath?
Your experiences and reactions are unique. Therefore, some of these circumstances may ring true, if indeed you are an empath..
- Large crowds cause discomfort
- Relationships with ‘users’
- Craving the peace of alone time
- Saying yes too much
- Over sensitivity to noise, smell, or conversations
- Feeling exhausted after social situations
- Finding you startle easily
- Hearing “You’re over sensitive”
- Preference for sleeping alone
- Overeating to cope with stress
- Difficulty making good decisions
Still not sure you are an empath? Take this 20-question self assessment test from Dr. Judith Orloff.
What to do Next
If you took the assessment and know you are an empath, don’t despair. In contrast, celebrate your naturally loving nature. Furthermore, give these ideas a try.
- explore Dr. Orloff’s website
- Practice self-care every day
- Listen to Dr. Les Carter’s video on empaths
- Read about narcissists or ‘gaslighters’
It Appears I’m an Empath
This realization may be difficult to swallow. In contrast, you have a lot to give the world and the world needs you. Sit with this new knowledge and take the first step toward a more fulfilled life.
Ground and Reset:
- Move to a quiet, private location
- Sit upright
- Relax your hands in your lap
- Gently close your eyes
- Slowly breathe in through your nose
- Out through your relaxed mouth
- Repeat this slow breathing three times
- Feel the weight of your body in your hips
- Now feel this heaviness down to your feet
- Imagine this weight extending into the earth
- The weight becomes roots into the soil
- Continue slowly breathing
- Gently open your eyes
Doesn’t that feel soothing? It’s a wonderful way to start everyday. Certainly, use this technique whenever circumstances feel overwhelming.
Also consider signing up for my newsletter. In addition to never missing a blog, you’ll also receive first notice on offerings, appearances and glimpses into my life.
Moving ever forward,
2 thoughts on “How Do You Know You Are an Empath”
You are very welcome.
Comments are closed.